No business can reach the juncture of success without passing through the stage of business analysis. This stage is an integral part of every business irrespective of its niche or area of specialization. Calling it the most crucial step of business formation won't be an overstatement.
This stage actually frames the outlook of any project. Every minute detail from inception to completion is considered at this very moment.
Who is a Business Analyst?
A business analyst is a person who dives deep into the business structure to understand and gather insights about the processes and requirements of the client. He uses his knowledge and experience to analyze the entire system, handling sales, business processes, and key performance indicators and framing crucial documents. He is the liaison between client and the technical team. His job is to gather the requirements from the client's end and convert it into technical documentation.
A business analyst plays a significant role in any business venture but his role becomes all the way more important in a web development project. Let's contemplate how conducive a business analyst is to a web development project-
Role of Business Analyst
- Project Initiation - A business analyst establishes the first point of communication with the client. He gathers all the requirements from the client and converts it into technical documentation. At this phase he understands the scope and objectives of the project and develops communication channels between the client and the technical team.
- Thorough understanding - At this stage, he thoroughly understands the project to get acquainted with the minutest of the details, so that it can be implemented in the right way.
- Analysis and documentation- This is a very crucial step in web project development project. Here a business analyst deeply analyzes and evaluates the project and prepares SRS. SRS stands for Software Requirement Specification. This is a document prepared by the analyst and includes all technicalities regarding the project. This is a detailed document which covers aspects like User stories, acceptance criteria and wireframes. The document so prepared is precise and informational for the understanding of the client.
- Solution estimation and validation- After preparing SRS, the analyst makes sure that there are no gaps in the requirement process. After ensuring the same, the analyst takes it to the development process and validates the same.
- Continuous interaction- In this phase, the business analyst makes it a point to make regular interactions and transfer knowledge to either parties.
Though in some companies the role of business analyst is limited to above mentioned steps but in others, it is the business analyst who has active participation in the testing and implementation of the project as well. The role of business analyst is a combination of system analyst, tester, project manager, process analyst, application support etc.
It is a holistic profile in itself and this is why a business analyst is capable to look into project from all angles. A business analyst creates competitive edge over rivals and delights customers by delivering solutions!