What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a way of making money online whereby you as a publisher are rewarded for helping a business by promoting their product, service or site. There are a different forms of Affiliate marketing, however in most cases each one involves you as the publisher earning a commission when someone follows a link on your blog or website to another site where they in turn buy something or take some other course of action.
The following is just a few tips to follow if you are considering affiliate marketing as part of your marketing strategy.
- What is the profile of the people who visit your website, why do they come and how can you make them return regularly? What products and services might be of interest to them? Make sure it is relevant to what you write about. I.E if you blog all about website and marketing tips don't post ads for music or hardware etc. Keep it relevant to what you write about or what your site is about. That is why people are visiting your site in the first place.
- Promote products you are already using. When I started this blog site, it was an easy decision for me to sign up as an affiliate with Tampa Creative since that's the hosting, design and marketing company I use and work for.
- To earn affiliate commissions you need to drive targeted traffic to your website. The more traffic your website gets, the more likely you'll generate sales. The follow is a few ways to do this
- Use Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and keywords to ensure your website and your ads come out high on the list with search engines? SEO optimization is an increasingly specialist field and you may need some expert help here. Something us folks at Tampa Creative are knowledgeable on.
- Article Marketing. Write an article related to your affiliate products with a link to your website in the article's resource box and submit it to credible article directories. To get more and continuous targeted traffic, you will need to write more articles. If possible publish a new article every week. If you keep up doing this in time you should see more and more traffic to your website.
- Pay-per-click (PPC) Advertising. You can get a lot of targeted traffic from PPC advertising programs. My personal favorite is Google Adwords. This programs allow you to bid for top rankings on the keywords of your choice. When someone enters a search term matches your keyword in the PPC search engine and press the search button, your contextual ad will appear on the sidebar of the search result page. If the visitor clicks through your ad to your website, you'll be charged based on your bid amount. Also, PPC advertising programs will distribute your ads to websites of their content networks also.
Once you have created your affiliate marketing strategy it's important to keep reviewing the performance of the ads that are running. Don't just assume because you placed the ads you can sit back and do nothing. There is still constant monitoring and changes that need to be done. Look at the ads that are performing well and those that aren't; is it because they fit the audience? Is it because they're in the wrong places? Don't be afraid to experiment and see what happens.
Feel free to share your experience or knowledge to help others looking into doing this by leaving a comment or... Contact me today!